Throw the Perfect Summer BBQ
Nothing says summer fun like an outdoor barbeque. But are you prepared to fire up the grill and take the party outside? Chances are you could benefit from a crash course in summertime soirees. Apply these five easy tips, and your backyard is sure to be the summer hotspot!
- Create a specialty dish or drink. This is an easy way to create some excitement at your party, and to give the guests something to talk about. Whether it's your drool-worthy rib marinade, or a unique taste on a refreshing mojito, adding a specialty item to your menu is sure to get the party started.
- Incorporate a theme. Theme parties aren't just for the kids anymore! This creative idea is a great way to let loose and add some whimsy to your party. We like the idea of a tropical theme, where guests are encouraged to wear Hawaiian print shirts in a colorful setting. Hand out leis and stick an umbrella in the drinks to really take it to the next level.
- Play a game. Once again, it's perfectly okay—and encouraged—to borrow some ideas from a kid's party. In fact, games will provide an ice breaker for guests who may not know each other and help kick your party into full gear. Try a round of croquet, whiffle ball, or Frisbee.
- Add some lighting. You don't have to spend big bucks to turn your backyard from boring to party-ready. Lighting is a great way to add some inexpensive ambiance. Wrap some Christmas lights around your fence, deck, or shrubbery to create an intimate glow. Or, place candle in mason jars for a country-chic feel. Not only will it look great, but it will keep the party going well after sundown.
- Exchange recipes. Ask each guest to bring a dish, and provide index cards so you can swap recipes. This potluck will keep costs down for you, and will allow your guests to show off their culinary skills, as well as pick up a few more.