Resolve to Get Healthy in 2012
One of the most common New Year’s resolutions is to improve health, but it’s always easier to come up with these resolutions than it is to actually keep them. Take a look at these helpful hints to guide you in making—and keeping—resolutions that will lead to a healthier you this year!
- Be specific. Resolutions such as “eat healthier” and “exercise more” are difficult to keep because they’re too simple. Exactly how will you change your diet? Are you cutting out certain items? Approximately how many minutes per day will you exercise? “Losing weight” is another vague resolution that many people have a hard time keeping. To make this goal more specific, decide how much weight you want to lose. In addition, it can be helpful to create a timeline or deadline for yourself. Turn “I want to lose weight” into “I want to lose ten pounds by the first day of spring,” and you’ll become more motivated in working towards your resolution.
- Set incremental goals. This is a great way to keep yourself on track, especially if you are trying to reach a long term goal. By breaking your resolution down into smaller steps, you will be less likely to lose sight of the end result and fall behind. Remember to reward yourself between increments!
- Make your goals measurable. This goes hand-in-hand with being specific. By making your goal measurable you give yourself an easy guide to success. You’ll know exactly what you’re working towards, and you’ll know when you’ve achieved the goal versus when you need to start working harder at it.
- Keep your resolutions where you can see them. Remind yourself of your goals on a daily basis by writing them down. You can make a list and put it on your computer desktop, phone background, or bathroom mirror. Instead of a list, you can also use inspirational quotes for the same idea. Keep a log of your diet every day. Keep an exercise journal. Mark your calendar for every day that you stuck to your goal and made an effort to be healthier.
- Start right away. Since you’re already feeling motivated, don’t put it off and lose all that momentum! There’s no better time than now to start taking better care of your health.
We hope these tips will help you with your resolutions this year. Remember to keep an eye out for local deals, recipes, and grocery coupons on CoolSavings for savings on healthy activities, meals, and more!