Try these Festive and Affordable Holiday Decorations
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Every holiday season we look forward to celebrating with our families and friends. What better way to welcome guests into your home for the holidays than by decorating for the festivities? Spread some holiday cheer this year with these cool ideas for a fun and festive holiday home.
- Nothing gets me in the mood for the holidays like the smell of pine trees in the air and pumpkin pie in the oven. Even if you have an artificial tree or you don’t have the time to bake, your senses shouldn’t have to suffer! Scented candles are a simple way to start getting your home ready for the holidays, and your guests will be in the holiday spirit as soon as they walk through your door.
- Family style meals are a central part of the holidays, so having a great table setting is key. Try creating your own centerpiece for something new and different. You’ll be surprised at how many easy and elegant centerpieces you can come up with using decorations and household items that you already own. Try filling glass vases, canisters, and hurricanes with something colorful—ornaments, beads, cranberries, eucalyptus, red holly berries, candy, and battery-operated lights are just a few things you can try. Rather than filling a glass piece with just one decorative item, try layering different things inside for a more interesting, colorful look. Garland and wreaths can also turn your centerpiece into a holiday-ready work of art.
- To keep your decorative theme going throughout the house, try using some of the same ideas from your dining room centerpiece to accessorize your living room coffee table or fireplace mantle. Tie the living room and dining room together with a custom tree skirt, stockings, or pillows for the living room, and matching seat cushion covers at your dining room table. If you want to add more flair to your chairs, go for this simple no-sew project: wrap a piece of wired ribbon around the back of the chair and tie a bow in the center. For extra embellishments, hang an ornament, bells, or mistletoe from the knot. Use the same ribbon pattern for decorations in other rooms to stick with your theme.
- You don’t have to have holiday-themed china to have a festive place setting. Placemats, coasters, and napkins are perfect ways to spice up your dinnerware for a holiday meal. Give your everyday place setting an inexpensive holiday makeover by creating your own no-sew matching placemats and coasters. With some 15x19 inch medium-density fiberboard, glue, and the fabric of your choice, you can create an entire new look for your dining room table. Cut your fabric into 18x20 inch rectangles, wrap it around your fiber board, and glue the edges into place on the back. To make matching coasters, try this same method with 3x3 inch square pieces of fiberboard and 5x5 inch squares of fabric. Add napkins tied with ribbon in an accent color to finish your setting.
- Finally, let’s not forget about holiday projects that are fun for the whole family. Have everyone help decorate a gingerbread house to put on display. Decorate your own stockings, string the outside trees with lights, and—if the weather permits—build a snowman in your yard to welcome your guests. With these classic decorating ideas and activities—the more the merrier! Be sure to visit the CoolSavings Holiday Page for savings on home decor and much more! Check out the grocery coupons for savings on your feast, and the online coupons section for free shipping and discounts on your online shopping. Happy holidays!